Coconuts for Coconut Oil
10 Ways I Use Coconut Oil
Some oils are unsafe to cook with at high temperatures, coconut oil is a great alternative. Cooking with coconut oil is almost fool-proof due to its high smoke point, and it imparts a rich flavor with subtle hints of tropical paradise into every dish. Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It can be substituted for almost any other oil at a 1:1 ratio and is commonly used in baked goods and sautés. Coconut oil is a healthy saturated fat - one of nature's best sources of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are quickly absorbed by your body to deliver a natural boost of energy.
You can buy coconut oil in two forms: refined & virgin. Virgin coconut oil retains its natural scent and taste of fresh coconuts, while refined coconut oil has a more bland taste due to the refining process. Both have a shelf life of up to 2 years.
1) Cooking with Heat - simply use instead of any oil you would traditionally use. I love adding fresh garlic & turmeric for additional health benefits and taste.
2) On Toast Instead of Butter - I use sprouted bread for the best nutrition, and when toasting, use coconut oil instead of butter. For a great snack or meal, try adding huac, tomatoes, and baby kale to make a delicious nutrient dense sandwich.
3) Smoothies - add one tablespoon of coconut oil to your favorite smoothie recipe to reap the benefit of the oil’s MCTs.
4) Kale Chips - Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut Kale leaves into thirds, and place on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for about 10 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add cayenne pepper to taste and enjoy!
5) In Your Tea - let a teaspoon of coconut oil melt into your tea for some added flavor and benefits
6) On Your Greens - my favorite dressing consists of Bragg sauce, lemon juice, fresh ginger, and some coconut oil. You will be craving more in no time.
7) Moisturizer - coconut oil not only feeds our insides, it does wonders to our skin and hair. Apply generously to skin & hair, as well as lips until satisfied.
8) Add to Bath Water - a great way to add some natural moisture & aromatherapy is to add around 1/4 cup into your warm bath.
9) Shaving Cream - believe it or not, coconut oil is great for shaving, give it a shot next time.
10) Oil Pulling - I try and start my days with a good oil pull. Take a spoonful into your mouth, and swish around for a few minutes. The oil literally pulls toxins out of you, helping detox your body and a great way to start the day.